Stephen is a creative and versatile film and TV director, whose 2014 feature film adaptation of John Banville’s Booker Prize winning novel THE SEA, starred Ciaran Hinds, Charlotte Rampling and Sinead Cusack. More recently he associate produced and appeared in the 2018 BBC1 documentary CANVEY THE PROMISED ISLAND, about the unlikely mini-exodus of Orthodox Jewish families from Stamford Hill to Essex. The film was nominated for the Radio Times Readers’ Award 2019, as part of the annual Sandford St Martin Awards.
- Directed £2.2million feature film, THE SEA, starring Ciaran Hinds, Charlotte Rampling, Sinead Cusack and Rufus Sewell, an adaptation of the John Banville novel, produced by Independent Films. Selected for Edinburgh, Galway, Toronto, Dinard and Mill Valley Film Festivals.
- BREATHING, (18mins) prize-winning short film starring Charlotte Coleman and Rosemary McHale. Silver Hugo, Chicago Film Festival, London Film Festival, screened C4
- THE CURIOUS, (11mins) C4/BFI New Directors short film starring David Suchet, Oliver Parker and Caroline Catz. London and Chicago Film Festivals, screened C4
- THE WORD, Channel 4 TV – staff producer/director
- MOVING PICTURES, BBC 2 – producer/director documentary inserts
- CANVEY – THE PROMISED ISLAND, BBC 1 documentary – Presenter and Associate Producer