Jane Pugh is a writer for screen, stage and page
Jane’s empathetic but challenging, character based dramas have been described as
‘Fantastic and moving’ (Kneehigh Theatre),
‘Exciting and honest’ (Real Ideas Organisation) and
By audiences as ‘I’d rather be here tonight than anywhere else’ and ‘Devastating and wonderful, I just can’t get the characters out of my head.’
and ‘Your writing lulls us into a sense of security and then you sink your teeth in.’
Jane Pugh is a lecturer and script editor
Jane works as a lecturer at Falmouth University and is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. Her online screenwriting course attracted over 1,000 hits per day and is recommended by BBC’s Writers Room. Reviews include ‘I was completely stuck with my script until I completed this course and now I know exactly what to do’ and ‘this course has completely blown me away!’
‘Wolf Child’ by Wildworks Theatre Company
Jane is currently working as Dramaturge for Wildworks Theatre Company on their latest large scale, site-specific show ‘Wolf Child.’
‘Underlaid’ is Jane’s blog about women over forty who are not getting enough sex.
‘Snow’ Jane is at 3rd draft stage of her contemporary film noir about a boy who commits murder for love.
She regularly performs for Tell Tales at events in the South West, including the Port Eliot Festival.
• ‘Get Well Soon’ CBeebies. Co-wrote location material for new series for pre-school children.
• ‘Snow’ feature script was developed by The Bureau as part of the ‘Save Our Script’ scheme.
• ‘Lion Hearts’ an online drama-doc for Arts for Health, about achievements and challenges in old age.
• Apple Application script, ‘Aunt Jane’, a tour of Bath with Jane Austin’s niece.
• ‘The Adventurers,’ with composer Simon Dobson, incorporating the music of two of Cornwall’s champion brass bands and the BBC Concert Orchestra and commissioned by Cornwall World Heritage Site.
• Her short film ‘Summer Spent’ was commissioned by Film Four and UK Film Council.
• She extensively toured her small scale show ‘Story Detectives’ supported by Arts Council England and commissioned by Carn to Cove, Cornwall’s Rural Touring Scheme.
A Selection of Previous Credits
• She wrote ‘Bedbugs’ a half hour drama commissioned by Channel 4 and directed by Andrea Arnold.
• She has written two Film Council Digital Shorts, ‘In His Shoes’ and ‘Friday Night,’ the later won the Audience Award for Best Short Film at the Cornwall Film Festival.
• Her stage play ‘Jason’ was produced by the Hall for Cornwall, Cornwall’s large scale theatre.
• ‘Oral Fixation’ was described by one audience member as ‘Normally I hate the theatre, but not tonight!’
Her films have won 7 awards including an American Academy Award (Oscar) Best Student Drama.
Before moving to Cornwall, Jane worked as a Script Editor for BBC Northern Ireland, Carlton TV and World Production. She also produced a number of short films for BBC2, Channel 4 and the ITV Network. She is a graduate of the National Film and Television School.